Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Second Bone

Well, back from vacation and still knocking sand out of my shoes. But getting serious, Web 2.0 "The Machine" I had enjoyed at an earlier tech conference and still enjoy reflecting over it. At the point where the clip highlights "teaching the machine", I keep thinking of all the teachers that struggle to cover the material and would think they would have to teach one more thing; not realizing "the machine" is the form their students should be using for their text/thoughts.

Then I thought of a point that was raised in the blog about Web 2.0 was for rich libraries. As an inner city public school librarian, I know very well that my library will be the last to receive the current technology. However, I still owe it to my campus to put new ideas forward to them and advance opportunities to students. Web 2.0 is exciting, fun, and motativating--and the gap between the have's and have not's needs to be kept small and easily bridged.

Which brings up the 2007 interview with Stephen Abram. and he talks about making the choice to empower yourself. Who cannot find 15 minutes a day to learn something new about Web 2.0? This would be a great selling point to teachers who think their day is already too filled to add on more thing. Or to teach recluctant teachers a new Web tool that they can use with their students. Therefore, I must commit myself to finding my time of empowerment.

LKO

No comments:

Post a Comment