Thursday, July 23, 2009

Bone 11: IM on AIM

Instant Messaging, or IM, has been a Web 2.0 thing I have participated in for many years. In fact, my students used it over a decade ago for homework help when I was online. It cracked me up when the little box would appear asking to accept their question, which I always did. Boy, did it spread like wildfire when students found out I would IM--then I started getting IMs from students that were not even in my class, but needed help with assignments. Then came IMs from parents checking up on their student's progress. So, I have always found IM to be fun, especially when students would used their texting abbreviations and I would spend hours trying to figure them out. I can remember the first time a student used LOL--after many hours trying to decipher LOL, I had to ask the student in a later conversation for the meaning--he still laughs about it today. Teachers, couselors, Librarians, and other staff could be IM live accessible at certain times and messages could always be left for them. This could be a cool school idea.
I use AOL's AIM and can be reached at LOKOESL.
GG AFK LKO

No comments:

Post a Comment