Sunday, August 9, 2009

Bone 15: Digg

I don't really dig Digg--mainly because I am becoming more concerned with the concept of freely labeling any website that allows people to post their opinions as "social". But never mind, just my own eye-rolling at the appalling grammar and sentence structure used by people. Digg looks likes the thesis project of some graduate student who is trying to cover all the bases to get a good grade. I feel like way too much information (and advertising) was being thrown at me at one time. Again, as a news site, I began to question what is news-worthy. Some of what is listed for entertainment, lifestyle, and sports has questionable value for enlightening, inspiring, and boardening of the mind. And even more distrubing are some of the comments posted in these three genres, once again causing me to question "social". As a saving grace, Digg does have critical news stories from more global perspective sources, such as the BBC, MSN World, etc., where more thought provoking comments are provided. The "social" aspect of voting and participating in a discussion is really stretching the meaning of social. I did like being able to quickly search a subject (even subjects with a narrow audience) for news, like Wales or castles; and even better, I could quickly search for videos. However, I could have just as easily Googled or gone to Youtube. Perhaps Digg works for other people, but for elementary students it does not have much potential. For me, I will add it to my list of places to research information, but I won't be getting "social".
LKO

No comments:

Post a Comment