Sunday, August 9, 2009

Bone 16: Library Thing

What an interesting site, and I really like how you can see the covers of the books. I agree with JJR, who said, "LT is fun, but no replacement for real cataloging...", but I am looking for how this site could be used by elementary students/staff. Although I haven't played with all that LibraryThing has to offer, it would be cool if a teacher could set up an account and track books read by the class. Or that students could have accounts and share in book discussions that the teacher could facilitate. Or I, the Librarian, could send recommendations of available books to students. Just playing with ideas. I was really impressed with the depth of this website's collection of book information. Nor only did the site recognize my Grandmother's 1928 edition of John Brown's Body, but I could access recommendations/discussions for children's literature, bilingual books, and authors. Yes, LibraryThing will not replace formal cataloging, but it is fun for your own private library. I am going to keep working with this site and pass it on. Looking for me: http://www.librarything.com/profile/DenverOwens
LKO

No comments:

Post a Comment