Monday, August 10, 2009

Bone 17: LibWorm

This wormy bone needs to be buried. Here we go:

Try doing a Phrase search using the name of your library. What did you find? I am the Librarian for two elementary campuses and "No results found" for both schools. Also, "No results found" for my school district. Hmmmmm.

Did you find anything interesting? Not really. I tried searching Bilingual resources and found some websites that had interesting articles, but nothing that would impact my Libraries. Then I moved on to favorite subjects, copyright and fair use. With the "any word" search, I got recent court cases on blogs. If you search by feed categories, subjects, or tags, you can find headings for Law, Law Libraries, etc. Then you start chasing a lot of links just to get a little information. I found a survey about how comfortable Librarians felt about copyright/fair use, which was interesting, but not surprising. I tried to limit my search to just Disney copyright and still got to chase links (some dead).

How would you rate the quality of the results LibWorm gives you? If you have time to kill, this search engine is for you. I found LibWorm slow and overloaded. The site links and links and links, and I felt like I was shifting a beach of sand looking for one grain. Perhaps if I worked with LibWorm more and tried different vocabulary, I would have better luck. The LibWorm Tag Cloud was cool; however, it is easier and faster to go to Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc.
Moving on.....LKO

No comments:

Post a Comment