Saturday, August 15, 2009

Bone 23: Reflection

Well, here we are at the end. Let see what was learned:

What was your favorite or least favorite Thing? I like anything that is visual and fun, so Flickr, Flickr Mashup, and Youtube are my favorites. I could spend all day looking through Youtube. Least favorite thing is hard to nail down. I did not like Facebook and Twitter because I am a private person and do not really have a need for them. However, since you can control your groups of friends, they kinda grow on you. I will probably dump my Twitter account, but keep Facebook because I have several friends that have started posting on it regularly. I didn't like LibWorm or Digg because I think there are better search sites and you don't really need the "social" aspect.

What was challenging for you? The most challenging aspect is the "social" part of a lot of these sites. As a person who does not always trust the security features of sites, I really do not want to go around setting up accounts that want information I do not want to give. At times, this program was information overload, but that was my problem because I started late and did not give myself time to absorb like I should have done. But challenges are good and I think I can adjust my comfort level.

What did you learn? I learned so much and that I could do so much in Web 2.0. But moreover, I really feel confident about sharing what I learned. I think this learning will keep building upon itself and I will continue to find new ways to apply it. Also, I really appreciate Things like Google Reader, which keeps my more organized and informed.

What new technologies will you use in your library? I have already shared some sites with staff, like Flickr with the Art teacher. Since students can create their own Active Directory accounts, I plan to teach Google Reader for organization. I want to try to create Book Clubs or AR tracker with LibraryThing, and I plan to use Google Docs to create Library/Staff surveys. Also, I would like to create Podcasts (and learn about screencasts) to apply to the Library Webpage. I have high expectations for using and sharing this information, and I am very excited to get started. This is going to be a Web 2.0 year!

Thanks for a super program! LKO

No comments:

Post a Comment